Thursday, October 22, 2009

Recipe Shout Out - Poppy Seed Chicken

Okay so it has been several days since my last post....you know when you don't have any time to do the things you want to do? Well, that is how the last week has been. I haven't forgotten the blog, in fact I've totally been missing it! I hope to get caught up on some things I've been wanting to post in the next few days!
Here is a good comfort food from my childhood. My mom's recipe for poppy seed chicken. I've seen several recipes for it, but mom's is the easiest and it tastes the best!!! I used to only fix it for potlucks or special occasions but now I tend to make as one of our regular dinners just because it is super easy!! Plus, you know when you bite into something and it brings back good memories...well this recipe does that for me! Takes me back home, and I love it!
4-6 boiled chicken breast
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 16 oz sour cream
2 tbs of poppy seed
(I eyeball this, they are expensive so I've cut down on the amount)
Now, there are two ways to prepare the chicken after cooking it. You can cut it into chunks like my mom, or to serve more people shred your chicken. Then mix in the ingredients above and pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
For the topping you will need:
1 sleeve CRUSHED Ritz Crackers
1 stick margarine/butter
Melt butter and mix in crushed crackers. Place on top of chicken mixture and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Traditionally I serve mashed potatoes and green beans with this meal!! Yummy!
Tip: To make healthier, use fat free soup and sour cream. I like to use the whole wheat Ritz crackers, and you can also use 1/2 a stick of low fat butter/margarine and it will turn out okay!!

2 comments:

  1. This is one of Carl's favorite dishes! yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never forget you bringing this to us when we had Hayes! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP