Thursday, May 27, 2010

Before I was a mom...

I've had a few things on my mind lately...I think at some time or another all mom's feel a little lost. Lost in the everyday in's and out's of life. Taking care of little ones (or big ones), feeding the family, trying to contain the chaos, and keeping peace. I once read in a book that when we fail to express our feelings we begin to lose who we are. I think that is true. There isn't much time in the day for us to stop and express our thoughts and feelings (that is where this blog comes in for me) so after a while it is just habit to keep our thoughts and feelings to ourselves. However, with that brings consequences...we begin to lose ourselves piece by piece.

Please don't misunderstand me...I LOVE my life! I love those daily things that make up my life...but I do miss me sometimes. It is much easier not to speak the things we feel...it keeps us from ruffling feathers or even saying things we don't mean. However, it is good to take time for us. Mom's do have a voice....

In honor of this subject I wanted to share a few things with you that use to make up who I was before I was a mom....things I enjoyed!

  1. All things tea! I have a teapot and teacup collection. I LOVE a hot cup of tea served in a fragile tea cup!! It makes me smile!
  2. Music! I loved music...I normally didn't get the words right or even know who sang the songs, but I loved to play it loud with the windows down! It made me feel good!
  3. Sports! I loved playing, watching, and coaching soccer!
  4. Girly Movies! I loved a night of girl movies sitting on the couch eating popcorn and crying into a tissue!
  5. Scrap booking! I loved the detail and the creativity I could express through my scrapbooks!

There are other things I could list but those are my top 5 picks :)

Now, as I wrote those I realized there is no reason I couldn't enjoy those things again...so maybe it isn't that I lost me...maybe I found a new me in being a mommy :)

Here is my top 5 things I love now:

  1. All things JACK! I love that my days revolve around spending time with my son. Just think, I don't get to miss a moment!
  2. QUIET! Forget the music...I love to have quiet moments. I love to turn the TV and radio off when Jack is napping and just enjoy the peace!
  3. Our garden! Every year I look forward to planting our garden! It keeps our family together...it is an activity that involves all of us, Jack too, and I LOVE that!
  4. Dinner time! I love cooking a meal and sitting down together as a family! Yes, I know, Jack doesn't usually eat everything I fix BUT those days that he chooses to try my food and loves it makes my heart swell!
  5. Friends! What would I do without good friends?? God has blessed me with an abundance of good people in my life and for that I am soooo thankful!

Looking at that list I realize I like the mommy me....you know the woman AFTER the kids :)

I'd love to hear some of your lists...what things did/do you love???

blog comments powered by Disqus

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP